Just a few summary points from my speech today at Trident Technical College on getting hired in the IT field.
- Be well read and articulate your points. Executives often find IT people confusing and awkward to talk to.
- Focus on learning about the business you are interviewing with. Learn what their needs are and then match your skills to them. Don’t worry about you forcing your talents on them.
- The typical IT resume is hard to read. It is long with software and products most people haven’t heard of. Focus on what you have done and what you will do for their organization.
- Companies don’t buy computers. Computers are just a tool they need to complete their mission and purpose.
- IT is an expense to may companies. IT need to serve the business and needs to be treated as such.